Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Maine Noel

There are some perks to being an Innkeeper in Camden Maine. Last night I was treated to a Maine Noel at Natalie's Restaurant in Camden Maine. The dinner was above and beyond what you would expect in Maine.
I had a similar experience to this about 10 years ago when I was in Ireland. I went to Ireland for my honeymoon and was not expecting to eat very well. Maybe some potatoes and hash everyday, didn't matter, I was on my honeymoon. Anyway, I have to tell you the places we did eat at in Ireland were excellent, from the little pubs to the nice restaurants we happen to come upon. In Ireland there was always fresh meat and dairy, wonderful vegetables. The dinner last night was similar - excellent meat, wonderful vegetables, all local fare.
Oscar and Raymond, the owners of Natalie's and Camden Harbor Inn are fine hosts. They make you feel welcome and like a friends daughter said, "like a movie star".
One of the neatest things I like about upscale dining is the attention to detail that most of us do not reward ourselves on a day to day basis. Natalie's Restaurant has a calming atmosphere with lovely comfortable chairs. They also encourage you to linger and enjoy the moment. Something as an Innkeeper I neglect.
I would not by any means call myself a foodie, but I have eaten in some fine restaurants. I went to Alain Ducasse's restaurant in Monte Carlo, I have eaten in many fine restaurants in Manhattan - Peter Luger's Steakhouse (more of a steakhouse than fine dining, but the best one in the world), The Inn at Little Washington in Virginia, just to name a few. The thing that all of these restaurants have in common is the excellent service and Natalie's is right in line with the best.
I wish Natalie's a bright future.
If you are coming to the Mid Coast of Maine - Natalie's Restaurant should be on your todo list. The Concierge at the Camden Windward House Bed and Brealfast would be delighted to make you a reservation.

No comments: